Sponsor needed: Enlightenment DR17/E17+EFL

Didier Casse elprodigio at gmail.com
Wed May 25 02:08:19 UTC 2005

On 5/24/05, Jeff Pitman <symbiont at berlios.de> wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 May 2005 21:38, Jeff Pitman wrote:
> > On Tuesday 24 May 2005 17:01, Didier Casse wrote:
> > > I maintain an apt/yum repository at
> > > http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe
> > > for convenience to the FC users.
> >
> > Prior to getting sponsored, some quick feedback: enlightenment should
> > not Requires: gettext-devel.  BuildRequires is fine.

Thanks Jeff for the feedback. This is being noted.

> More feedback.
>
> The "engage" package shouldn't Requires: xine-lib-devel.  Just the
> BuildRequires.  You should Requires: xine-lib, though.

It doesn't...
Engage spec:

BuildRequires: libjpeg-devel
Requires: esmart, imlib2, imlib2-devel, edje, ecore, evas, ewl

> Also, I cannot get engage setup by default:
>
> $ engage -e gl
> GL: create info...
> GL: setup info...
> GL: gl window setup done.
> Esmart_Trans Error: Could not read root window pixmap property!
> Esmart_Trans Error: Cannot create transparency pixmap: no valid
> wallpaper and no background color set.
> GL EXT supported: GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap = ffffffff
> GL EXT supported: GL_NV_texture_rectangle = ffffffff
> am a system tray :) :)

I guess you're not using the engage module of E17. The stand-alone
engage can only be used in E16. It's possible to use the stand-alone
version in E17 but it's a little but unclean.

>From FAQ:

E17 doesn't support fake transparency. Real transparency is used by
E17 modules instead. It is possible to force fake transparency usage
by setting a root window background with Esetroot (included with
Eterm) or e17setroot (included with e_utils, needs Esetroot to be able
to force fake transparency). Note that the background you set with
Esetroot will now show up in E17, only the applications that use fake
transparency will see it. Note that this is a pretty ugly workaround -
some apps may not work correctly even if you force fake transparency
with Esetroot/e17setroot.

To load the engage module in E17, perform:

enlightenment_remote -module-load engage

This documentation will explain to you the difference between
standalone engage and engage module:

http://get-e.org/User_Guide/English_pages/4.2.html

> Also, I recommend that Keyboard shortcuts and Default Window behavior
> are synchronized with what GNOME and KDE provide.  For example,
> Alt-Tab.  It might disgust the E! power user, but I think it's
> necessary for those that will be switching between desktops.  (GNOME
> and KDE finally have come together in common on this thanks to efforts
> by Redhat, et al.)

Well for this request, I'm afraid this is beyond my control. This is
the decision of the lead developer if he wants to do that. I will
feedback this to the developers list and Cc to you.
We can thus see what they think of it.

--
Cheers,
Didier.

Yum/apt repository for DR17/EFL: http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe

Didier F.B Casse
PhD candidate, Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS)
National University of Singapore.