Re: Volunteering to maintain proj and shapelib packages

From: Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov newmail ru>
To: fedora-extras-list redhat com
Subject: Re: Volunteering to maintain proj and shapelib packages
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:56:17 +0400

Shawn McCann пишет:

I'm looking to get involved in the Fedora project and was drawn to the list of packages needing a maintainer. As I've used proj and shapelib before, volunteering to maintain them seems a good place to start.

It would be great!
We got another GIS-related package w/o maintainer - GEOS, which blocks inclusion of QuantumGIS to FE.

Yes, GEOS is currently maintained by another local company. I can likely take this on as well once I get up to speed on proj and shapelib. From what I can see FC3 has proj-4.4.8 and proj-4.4.9 is now available. For shapelib, FC3 has the latest version already.

The company I work for builds systems around the world in various domains, especially for remote sensing from satellites. I've recently been working with on projects to deploy Linux (RHEL) and GIS systems in developing countries, hence my renewed interest in the discussions on adding GRASS to Fedora Extras.

GRASS needs another problem to be solved - GDAL and GDAL-GRASS plugin.

I setup mapserver and grass last year and ran across some of these issues. Should be solvable with a little effort.

FYI we also got AutoTrace, a good free, opensource vectorizer, w/o maintainer.

Haven't used it yet, but it sounds interesting.