Some confusion about Extras processes

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sun Apr 2 23:19:20 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 21:04:37 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Kofler wrote:

> I've noticed that there appears to be some confusion about some of the
> processes in Fedora Extras (in particular, the role of CvsSyncNeeded). Sorry if
> I'm the one who is confused, but in either case, it would be nice if someone
> could clear things up.
>
> 1. CvsSyncNeeded contains some requests touching the repository, not the CVS:
>  * Remove ppc package of gnome-applet-sensors, version 1.4-3. This package does
> not work on ppc and has been rebuilt to 1.4-4 with the appropriate ExcludeArch,
> but the older broken package still exists in the ppc repo.

That does not belong in there.

Maybe we should rename the CVSSyncNeeded page and make the old name link
to the new name. I've edited the page a bit.

That page is really only for requesting a CVS admin to perform special
actions which ordinary contributors cannot do. Like creating completely
new branch directories for a package in CVS or removing a CVS module
beyond what "cvs remove -fR" can do.

The page is also not needed at all when you want to published builds of
updated packages. Just work in CVS and with the build system. Wiki is not
needed.

>  * Remove argus[-clients]-2.0.6.fixes1-7 builds from fc-4, fc-5, and devel;
> there were errors during build, but poorly done argus makefile didn't die. I
> fixed the problem in release 8, and would like 7 to go away.

Same here. Such requests are to be executed on the RPM package repository and
have nothing to do with CVS.

>  * Remove gambas-*1.0.11 packages from the repos for all branches (FC-3, FC-4,
> FC-5). This will resolve bugzilla 186274.

Same here. Btw, the terminology is not so clear here. Look:

"repos" => RPM package repositories for Yum
"branches" => branch directories in CVS
"FC-3", "FC-4", "FC-5" => chosen names for branches in CVS

In the repository, we usually refer to "different distribution releases"
and don't call FC5 a branch of FC4 or anything like that. ;) So, this request
is confusing for somebody who expects requests for actions to be done in CVS.

> Shouldn't these be files under FC5Status resp. FC4Status under the heading
> "Remove Request" instead? (And I'm not convinced the argus -7 builds need
> removal at all, -8 supercedes them anyway.)

Right.