What todo with upstream content in .noarch.rpm format?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Apr 10 18:23:34 UTC 2006

Rex Dieter wrote:

>> RD> If you meant to imply these upstream rpms should forego the usual
>> RD> cvs import and buildsystem, then no, can't/shouldn't be done.
>>
>> I think the problem is that upstream doesn't distribute tarballs, they
>> only give noarch.rpm files.  We can't just drop those in; there aren't
>> even any SRPMs to review or rebuild.
>
> We could kindly nudge them to provide the source to these rpms, since they
> *are* licensed as GPL afterall.
>
> Note the use of the phrase phrase "kindly nudge".  Awhile back, I tried
> doing the same (but less kindly and more than a nudge) for another
> not-to-be-named-here software vendor who provides rpms (and source
> tarballs), but neither src.rpm nor .spec's, and got flame-blasted for even
> mentioning it.

We're are talking about noarch content only rpms, all there is inside is
a bunch of .ogg files and an xml file. So there is no source and nothing
to rebuild, aslo not much to review. This is why upstream chooses this
format, because they think this way is the most end user friendly
(although it is a bit unfriendly to non rpm distros).

Regards,

Hans