ATrpms' kernel modules (kmdls)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Apr 26 14:55:24 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 03:11:02PM +0200, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> I not a kernel module packager, so i can't comment on the methology, but
> from a user perspective the most important feature is automatic updating
> of kernel-modules when new versions of the kernel is installed by yum,
> this is working great with the madwifi,ntfs,nvidia drivers in the livna
> fc5 repository. if kmdls can be used in the same way, then fine with me
> for a users perspective.

There is a general issue with kernel modules and upgrading, not only
affecting the way ATrpms does it, but far more general. In a nutshell
you have a two-dimensional versioning which cannot be put into an
mathematically ordered relationship, no matter what you try (in fact
it can be proven mathematically for |Rx|R ;)

So for rpm's sake you need to neutralize one versioning and that leads
to the ugly-uname-r-in-package-name, or you break certain scenarios.

That OTOH makes yum/smart/apt properly upgrade within the kernel
(e.g. new kernel module for the same kernel), but not across
kernels. apt does have some special support to do that and yum and
smart could be taught, too.

> There have been a lot of FUD about ATrpms, lets forget about that and
> make some packages for people. Keep up the good work Axel.

Thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net