package EOL

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Apr 26 17:39:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 02:04:11 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:

> Now another question is what to do with existing packages for unmaintained
> version. Should the built rpms be removed from the repo? This is an
> interesting question but that question seems to me to be unrelated to the
> other questions. I believe they shouldn't be removed from the repo, but
> that's just my personal opinion.

This question is not interesting. You don't want to shut down an old
repository gradually and keep only packages, which are promised to be
maintained by somebody.

The question for a package in an old repository is not about "in or out",
it's about "all or nothing". Either all packages are still maintained in
case maintenance is needed, or it is announced that the entire repository
enters a state of reduced expectations with regard to the overall
maintenance. And in case you argue that there are no guarantees, no
promises for the active repositories, well, then it's even _less than that_
for the older repositories.