package EOL

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Apr 26 22:22:29 UTC 2006

> The question for a package in an old repository is not about "in or out",
> it's about "all or nothing". Either all packages are still maintained in
> case maintenance is needed, or it is announced that the entire repository
> enters a state of reduced expectations with regard to the overall
> maintenance. And in case you argue that there are no guarantees, no
> promises for the active repositories, well, then it's even _less than that_
> for the older repositories.

Less than nothing is nothing. As long as there is no guarantees and no
promises for the active repositories I think that it doesn't make sense to
say that it is different for older repos.

And I don't think that the fedora extras people should make guarantees and
promises, but build up infrastructures and institutions that allows to keep
a high level of quality. In the end it will be up to the maintainers anyway.
This is still the issue of group maintainership, bug responsivness (including
forced/auto orphaning, forced co-maintainership), but I still think that
it has nothing to do with different promises we should do for different
repositories: no promise anywhere is the best in my opinion, anything else
isn't realistic and put unneeded constraints on packagers and users (but I
am beginning to repeat myself...).

--
Pat