weekly "new pacakges in Extras" (Was: Fedora Package Announcement List Split)

Don Russell bugzilla at drussell.dnsalias.com
Thu Apr 27 17:02:25 UTC 2006

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 27.04.2006, 10:41 -0400 schrieb seth vidal:
>
>>> It's of no use to me to see that there was a package called
>>> abracatabra built unless I'm the packager/reviewer. If a new package
>>> enters the system I (as a user) want to see what that package does w/o
>>> guessing from the name. And I want to be able to separate new from
>>> updates. For an update I'd like to know why it was updated, so the
>>> first lines of the changelog are nice to look at.
>>>
>> I guess I don't think doing it in mail is useful, really. I prefer rss
>> feeds for this kind of information. And putting changelogs and other
>> misc info in an rss feed makes more sense - at least to me.
>>

> Not for me -- I don't use rss feeds normally so they would create a
> extra hurdle for me. And mail a IMHO has a important benefit: It will
> always land in my Inbox -- I don't have to remember to look at the feed
> once a day.
>
> Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned in this context. But I'm probably not the
> only one.

I agree with that.... I would like to see announcements of individual
new packages as they become available (in extras or core, I really don't
care). I'd like the announcements to come via e-mail and include a
description of what the package is/does. It might be nice if such
"initial public offerings" could include some information about *why*
the package is being added and how it might compare to other similar
packages.... or, perhaps a link to the bugzilla thread so those
interested could read more about how the package came to be.

If I think a new package fits my needs I will "yum install ..." it (or
at least keep the announcement as a reminder to install it later), and
from that point on, will get any updates via the nightly yum update. I
really don't want to see a weekly summary of all that's new... Leave the
weekly summary to the "weekly newsletter people"... :-)

Package updates are sent via e-mail throughout the day... works great...
I've never seen a summary e-mail of which packages were updated this
week, why do that for new packages?

New is just a special case of "updated".... treat it the same.... use
*new* instead of *update* in the subject line:
    Fedora Core 5 new: open-sesame-0.5.0

Subsequent updates are then sent as:
    Fedora Core 5 update: open-sesame-0.5.1

Don Russell