Best practices wrt. Changelog entries in spec file (upstream vs. specfile)

Joost Soeterbroek joost at soeterbroek.com
Sun Apr 30 10:00:03 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a question regarding Changelog entries in spec files. When
packaging for a new upstream version of a given package you have to deal
with 2 different changelog informations:

  1) upstream/source specific changelog information
  2) spec file/packager specific changelog information

I am unsure how best to deal with both of these. The FE guidelines
regarding Changelogs in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines only mentions spec
file specific changelog info, but says nothing about upstream. I do
think it is relevant to include upstream changelog also.

As an example, I have just bumped the heartbeat package in Fedora Extras
from 2.0.4-2 to 2.0.5-1. I ended up using a combination of minuses for
the package specific changelog entries and indented plusses for the
upstream changelog which seemed acceptable to rpmlint, as in:

%changelog
* Date Name Packager
- package changelog
   + upstream changelog

Example for heartbeat package:

%changelog
* Thu Apr 27 2006  Joost Soeterbroek <fedora at soeterbroek.com> - 2.0.5-1
- upstream version 2.0.5
- removed patch2 - ownership of /heartbeat/crm/cib.xml is no longer
   set in cts/CM_LinuxHAv2.py.in
   + Version 2.0.5 - significant bug fixes and a few feature deficits fixed
   + various portability fixes
   + enable GUI to run with pygtk 2.4
   + significant GUI improvements and speedups

Comments,ideas?

Joost <fedora at soeterbroek.com>