Attention kernel module project packagers!

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Aug 15 18:50:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 09:21:19AM -0400, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> >argued in the wiki yum support for the current scheme is an endless
> >story, while the new proposed scheme already has it's fully working
> >plugin submitted.
> >
> >Do you really want to see developers burn more time in a lost cause?
> >We could be using that developer time elsewhere.
>

> Does your scheme prevent a new kernel from being installed if a matching
> kernel module is not yet available?

That's not a scheme's purpose, that's more a depsolver's mechanics. In
this point both old and new schemes are the same.

Concerning the plugins Jack Neely who writes the one for kmods has
added some pinning support like you describe.

The plugin I wrote for kmdls does not block kernel upgrades, but
instead installs kmdls for that kernel as they become available. The
reason is that perhaps a kmdl has been swallowed into the kernel (or
superseeded by the kernel's version), in this case it would block th
upgrade forever.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net