devel not properly generating ./configure with autoconf?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Aug 4 04:37:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 21:30 +0200, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Paul Wouters wrote:
>
> Following up on myself:
>
> > I am having troubles with gaim-otr on the devel branch. It seems the calls
> > to autoconf are not generating a configure file. As I do not have access
> > to an FC6test or rawhide server, it's hard for me to figure out what is
> > going on.
> > Did anyone else have similar problems with autoconf? Or does anyone have
> > a throwaway xenu of fc6test1 I can abuse for a day or two?
>
> No one responded with having access to an FC6, so I tried FC6test1.
It would have helped if you had posted a proper error description ;)
Even on FC5, I can reproduce a series of bugs in building this package,
circulating around you not correctly invoking the autotools and missing
several "cd %{name} ... cd ..".

However, the origin of all these bugs is you using a source tarball
containing a raw cvs snapshot, instead of a properly built package
tarball.

To cut a proper tarball, you would have to go through the steps an
upstream maintainer would have to go through:

1. Checkout a copy of gaim-otr from sourceforge

2. Inside of this checked-out copy:
autoreconf -i

3. ./configure

4. make dist
This will result into a tarball called gaim-otr-3.0.0.tar.gz, internally
using a dirname of "gain-3.0.0", containing all the files you need
(provided upstream packages their stuff correctly).

5. Then will want to rename this tarball to using a filename which
doesn't conflict with a future final gaim-otr-3.0.0.tar.gz tarball in FE
CVS's look-aside cache, e.g.
mv gaim-otr-3.0.0 gaim-otr-3.0.0-20060804.tar.gz,

6. Reflect these changes into your spec.

Having performed the steps about you should not need to run any
autotools nor cd between dirs anymore.

Contact me on PM, should you need further assistance or give me
permission to perform the steps above directly in FE's CVS.

Ralf