packaging guidelines: update request of immutable wiki page

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 13 00:49:30 UTC 2006

Till Maas wrote:
> On Saturday 09 December 2006 12:06, David Timms wrote:
>> Hi, I would like to request an adjustment to the extras wiki for
>> packaging guidelines. Specifically I found it time consuming to find the
>> key information on how to actually set up my machine to start developing
>> packages. Here is a draft:
>
>> Any comments ? (I included a diff if it's OK to go.)
>
> I like the text, but I think a better place for this is, since it is not a
> guideline and probably only interesting for new maintainers:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Contributors#head-13142b777abfa0f7ab40a339923ad34f5bba40ce
>
> And maybe this page can be renamed to maintainer because it seems to me that
> maintainers are only on kind of contributors. Peoply who report bugs or
> translate stuff are contributors, too, for example.
OK, I agree it fits better on the contributors page, probably at the end
of the Make a Package section. Also, Extras/MainPagePackaging

I'm still thinking that the Packaging/Guidelines could specifically
mention the Contributors page, since people should be informed that it
exists, and should probably be referring to it during package
development. It would then become a one liner section.

Perhaps this is against the grain of the "solid as brick"
PackagingGuidelines notion ? But if I am creating a package I think it
wise for the PG to direct me to the 'how' as well ? {increased
productivity, standardized way of doing things}

ps. If there is no further comment within a few days, I'll update the
editable pages, or should I just do it anyway, and let the changes be
reviewed through any adjustments/correction being made through other
people edits ?

DaveT.