Best way to help a maintainer?

Andy Burns fedora at adslpipe.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 10:22:16 UTC 2006

For a few packages in extras I've filed bugs, made patches and build
rpms locally to fix bugs, upgrade versions or see if rebuilds are all
that is required to get packages working again.

It is obvious that some (all!) maintainers are busy, that is fair
enough, we all have "day jobs" that will get priority, but sometimes
it's frustrating to have helped out (only a tiny bit) and yet it doesn't
lead to an updated package becoming available.

I'm not talking about situations where a packages needs "rescuing" by
having a new maintainer, A) who's to say that new is better, B) I don't
want to seem ungrateful for the work of the maintainers.

In general, what is the best way to see if any patch/upgrades that I
think are beneficial, are really the whole story, i.e. will work on
multiple arches, won't confuse the build system and are not retrograde
changes?

As a non-maintainer, is it possible to do this all locally, is plague
required, can we have access to the build system, just to be able to
test out patches up to the point where it possible to hand it back to
the maintainer, as a hopefully simple option for them to verify and
commit it?

I suppose I'm asking is the situation, one package, one maintainer, one
bottleneck?

Thanks,
Andy "I only want to help, don't take this as a complaint" Burns.