Re: Povray, fedora extras and licensing

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 15:27 +0000, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was considering adding POV-Ray to fedora extras, butI notice that
> the license that POV-Ray is distributed is not in any of the 3 lists
> referenced in the packaging guidelines. However, their redistribution
> license found here:
>
> http://www.povray.org/distribution-license.html
>
> specifically names fedora and implies that it is fine to redistribute
> POV-Ray for this distribution.  So, shall I go ahead and submit?
The povray license had repeatedly been subject to fierce arguments.

Several people (eg. me) consider it not to be an OpenSource License, but
read it (IANAL) as a "Free Beer License" (You can get the sources, but
you are not allowed to reuse the source code).

May-be you should contact the "legal channels" of Fedora, the FF, the
OSI, or may-be POV-Ray Ltd. to give a legally qualified statement on
this.

Ralf