What is the proper way to fix 'make tag' and 'make plague' conflict

[ oops sent it to fedora-devel instead of fedora-extras ]

Hey,

Sometimes I am stupid and I forget to make tag after commiting my files
and trying out make plague. You then end up in a situation where your
release version exists in limbo:

# make tag
cvs tag  -c fetchlog-1_0-3_fc5
For more information on using the Fedora CVS repositories, please visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UsingCvs
? clog
cvs tag: .cvsignore is locally modified
ERROR: Tag fetchlog-1_0-3_fc5 has been already created.
cvs tag: Pre-tag check failed
cvs [tag aborted]: correct the above errors first!
make: *** [tag] Error 1
[root bofh devel]# make plague
fetchlog.spec not tagged with tag fetchlog-1_0-3_fc5
make: *** [plague] Error 1

My fix so far has been to just bump the release, but that's rather ugly.
Is there a "proper" fix for this situation (excluding brain surgery)

Paul