Please rebuild your packages in the development tree of Fedora Extras

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Feb 16 15:29:23 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 07:07 -0800, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >>
> >> the repoquery isn't enough to provide the necessary information to
> >> learn about dependancy chains to allow for maintainer coordination?
> > No.
> >
> > [Personal side-note: I hate repoquery.
>
> Heh, care to elaborate? I'm open to suggestions you know :)

Speed, usability, package deps (of yum and yum-utils).

> > It's way less useable than its apt-get counterparts]
>
> What apt-get counterparts?

apt-get build-dep
apt-get --build source

Do you need anything else?

>  Sure you can dig out quite a bit of information
> from apt-cache but it has nothing like the formatting capabilities of
> repoquery etc.
I don't have much use for these.

What I need is a simple way to rebuild packages without having to dig
into details, basically

apt-get build-dep <package>
apt-get source <package>
rpm -U package.src.rpm
edit package.spec
[rebuild package]

This even works sufficiently well on underpowered machines with low
bandwidth connections, and is much less resource demanding than yum is.

Ralf