static libs ... again

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Feb 17 20:34:44 UTC 2006

> A USER never has any requirements for static libs.

As I said in another thread, there is a demand for static libs, especially
math stuff, to have portable binaries, in time and accross linux
distributions. It is really handy to be able to compile a model statically
and then put the executable on any computer to run it. And it may also
be nice to be able to rerun a model some time after, without a need to
recompile. I don't have discussed about that subject with a lot of people
but in the team I work with we like to compile statically math and plotting
stuff.

I have absolutely no idea about the number of people interested by static
libs, but I don't see any reason to avoid them when there is no security
issue, as it allows to build portable binaries.

--
Pat