Re: static libs ... again

Hi folks,

Is there is a middle ground in this static libs discussion?

For instance, are there technical solutions such as:

 - all static libs should or perhaps must be in a -static
     sub-package
 - no -static sub-packages are allowed as BuildRequires for
     other FC or FE packages
 - the -static packages are strictly optional so maintainers
     may provide them or not at their own discretion

that would be acceptable to everyone?

Ed

ps - I realize that I'm currently part of the static libs
     problem.  The netcdf package, for now, only provides
     static libs and other packages (eg. ncview, nco, cdo)
     use them.  I've created patches to netcdf3 that allow
     it to build shared libs and will either apply them or
     move to netcdf4 (which has shared lib support) if it
     gets out of beta relatively soon.

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307