Re: PLEASE HELP - We need a policy for preventing man page name conflicts

Many packages provide man3 (and other) man pages with generic names. The case in question in ncarg-devel and allegro-devel which both provide man3/line.3.gz. So, what do we do?

Resolve the conflict. ;) Talk to both upstream developer groups. "line" is
a very generic name for a manual page in the API section if to be
installed in global search path.
The manpage is a symptom of the real problem, which is much worse - section (3) of the API indicates library functions. The libraries in question are not using proper namespace. Any attempt to workaround the problem w/ regard to man is working around the real bug.