Re: PLEASE HELP - We need a policy for preventing man page name conflicts

Orion Poplawski wrote:
Many packages provide man3 (and other) man pages with generic names. The case in question in ncarg-devel and allegro-devel which both provide man3/line.3.gz. So, what do we do?

- package in /usr/share/<package>/man/? If so, how to we update MANPATH? How does man handle finding both (all) of the man pages?

IMO, no.  It's not worth the extra hassle.

- rename to something like <package>_<manpage>?

+1

Do we always do this? Only if a file conflicts?

Yep.

Is there an easy way to find conflicts before packaging?

Not that I'm aware. It should be rare enough that it can be handled on a case-by-case basis.

- suffixes <manpage>.3<suffix> ?  Can man handle this?

Another possibility, but I'm unfamiliar with that convention.

-- Rex