Re: static libs ... again

Hans de Goede wrote:
Rex Dieter wrote:

Eek. I still think headers and api docs and such still should be in -devel (especially if there's any likelyhood of a real shared lib existing some day), and that -static should Requires: %{name}-devel

Also I wonder how hard is it to add -fpic -DPIC to the cflags and change the link command to generate an .so. The only added trouble would be checking for abi changes on new releases and bumping the .so name a release.

Exactly. I'm of the opinion (in most cases) that if upstream isn't able/willing to do something (like generating shared libs), then neither am I (as packager).

You say "Exactly" as in I agree with you and then you continue with saying that you're not willing todo this, I'm confused now.

Exactly, as in "The only added trouble..." part.  (-:

As I said, if it's really not so hard, let upstream do it, per Fedora's mantra "Upstream, upstream, upstream..."

-- Rex