Re: Recoding non-UTF-8 documentation?

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
Is there ever a case where it's worth it to recode documentation to
satisfy a "file-not-utf8" warning from rpmlint?  Some packages fix up
line endings to quiet rpmlint but I'm not sure about altering the
character encoding.

If not, then would it be reasonable to remove this warning from
rpmlint?

Having the wrong encoding results in strange results when trying to read the documentation.

It's quite common to recode files. Take perl-IO-Socket-SSL for example:

for f in README SSL.pm ; do
  iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 -o $f{.utf8,} ; mv $f{.utf8,}
done

My vote would be for the warning to stay.

Paul.