Fwd: [Fedora-infrastructure-list] New package version control

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Jul 3 05:33:28 UTC 2006

>> A few of us, warren, mmcgrath, and I are designing a new system of
>> version control for the packages in Core and Extras.  The main page of
>> requirements and some pros and cons of various VCS's are listed on:
>> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/VersionControl/
>>
>> If you have some dispassionate features or reviews to add about any VCS
>> you think could address the requirements, go ahead and add it to the
>> page.

Wasn't quite sure how to put this on the page, so I'm posting here.

"con" for subversion is listed that auth must be through DAV, but a
"pro" for mercurial is that it can do ssh.  Just an fyi, but subversion
works GREAT over ssh (via the svn+ssh:// uri), and projects like mythtv
use this to separate anon checkout (http) with developer access (ssh).

Granted, you're still limited to "full repository" access or no access
with ssh since svn handles everything in its own database format.

-Chris