New package version control

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Jul 3 11:16:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 11:10:03PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> > Wasn't quite sure how to put this on the page, so I'm posting here.
> >
> > "con" for subversion is listed that auth must be through DAV, but a
> > "pro" for mercurial is that it can do ssh.  Just an fyi, but subversion
> > works GREAT over ssh (via the svn+ssh:// uri), and projects like mythtv
> > use this to separate anon checkout (http) with developer access (ssh).

I added some remarks to the page yesterday to reflect this. I'm no
mercurial expert (only used it slightly), but AFAIU both svn and hg
have the same authentication problems/solution. ssh is too coarse and
the web side is best served through apache and using the same auth
mechanisms.

> > Granted, you're still limited to "full repository" access or no access
> > with ssh since svn handles everything in its own database format.
>
> Yeah, that's pretty much a blocker for using svn+ssh.  One of the
> requirements is that each individual developer may or may not have
> access to a branch of the repository.  This could be emulated with a
> slew of repositories but I don't think subversion is really meant to
> handle that sort of setup the way a distributed version control system
> is.
>
> I don't know how mercurial handles this differently, though.

Doesn't mercurial pushing (write access) require *require* ssh (or
local access in general)?  At least that was what I was told on the
mercurial list

http://www.selenic.com/pipermail/mercurial/2006-April/007542.html

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net