allegro using packages need a rebuild

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Jul 6 19:10:51 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Allegro the gaming library contains some asm code which is put in a
static lib (liballeg_unsharable.so) because its not PIC. Unfortunatly
these asm files don't (didn't) properly add a GNU stack section to the
obj files they generate causing apps linked against allegro (using
allegro-config --libs) to require an executable stack.

This has caused allegro using apps to fail now that allow_exec_mem has
been set to false in newer targeted-policy releases. Yes you've read
that correctly because execmem has been set to false. The problem here
is that create_pthread tries to create a piece of executable mem to use
as stack for the new thread.

Now that allegro has been fixed all apps using allegro must be rebuild.
here is a list of packages which are linked against allegro:
[hans at localhost ~]$ repoquery --whatrequires liballeg.so.4.2
allegro-tools-0:4.2.0-11.i386
crystal-stacker-theme-editor-0:1.5-0.pre.2.fc5.i386
shippy-allegro-0:1.3.3.7-2.fc5.i386
allegro-tools-0:4.2.0-12.fc5.i386
zasx-0:1.30-1.fc5.i386
worminator-0:3.0R2.1-3.fc5.i386
dumb-0:0.9.3-2.fc5.i386
overgod-0:1.0-3.fc5.i386
AllegroOGG-0:1.0.3-2.fc5.i386
crystal-stacker-0:1.5-0.pre.2.fc5.i386
dumb-0:0.9.3-3.fc5.i386
DevIL-0:1.6.8-0.7.rc1.fc5.i386
DevIL-0:1.6.8-0.8.rc1.fc5.i386
worminator-0:3.0R2.1-2.fc5.i386
adime-0:2.2.1-3.fc5.i386
lacewing-0:1.10-4.fc5.i386
rafkill-0:1.2.1-1.fc5.i386
raidem-0:0.3.1-2.fc5.i386
raidem-0:0.3-2.fc5.i386

This is on FC-5 as repoquery is broken on devel atm. Now all those
packages are maintained by me except for DevIL, however I was the
reviewer of DevIL and DevIl doesn't link against alleg_unsharable, thats
left up to the application, since if DevIL would do this it would be
become non PIC.

I've queued rebuilds for devel for all apps listed above, all libs
listed above do not need a rebuild because of the same reasons as DevIL.

So unless I'm mistaken nobody needs todo anything, still I wanted to let
you all know about this.

Regards,

Hans