Recapitulate the current state of Fedora Extras and some ideas to make it better

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 10 17:30:52 UTC 2006

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>> Hmmm. Yeah, it might make sense. But we, the Extras community, don't
>>> have much influence or knowledge about the details or plans to close the
>>> gap (or merge the two).
>> You dont require any knowledge about the future plans to merely document
>> the differences. Still I dont mind owning this but then I need to bug
>> someone with more extras repository knowledge than me to help me out.
>
> Can you shed some light on "plague vs. brew" and why Core and Extras
> buildsys and infrastructure divert in this area?

I can answer this now since I brought the exact question before to the
board.

Answer:

Brew is not just the build system but Fedora Core's package management
(tracking packages) system to produce a distribution too. This is esp
important for something that is not pushed out as just rolling updates.

> Also, I've read that Red Hat can set a package owner _per dist release_
> instead of _one owner per package_ (which is what our "owners.list" can do
> only).

Jesse Keating (adding to CC) would be able to answer this one and
possibly expand more on the response to your first question too.

Rahul