Planning next version of rpmdevtools

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Fri Jul 14 21:12:53 UTC 2006

I'm thinking about pushing the next version of rpmdevtools out soonish.
It's tentatively versioned 5.0 to coincide with the oldest version of FC
(and incidentally RHEL) it's meant to work with.

The major thing I'm planning for in this release is dropping hardcoded
"fedora-" prefix everywhere, including from the package name.  Very few
things in the package are actually Fedora specific, at least after the
changes I'm planning, see below.  And it's just annoying in executables
and looks kind of silly.  I've done some research and haven't found
things that would conflict with the renaming plan.

The other significant thing is to clean up pre-FC5 stuff from the
existing spec templates (IIRC python only needs that?) because there
have been and will be some new templates added (ruby, php-*) that won't
work with older distro versions anyway.

This new version would be pushed to FC5+ only.  Action items below,
comments welcome.

---

Package rename (with appropriate Provides/Obsoletes for a while):
* fedora-rpmdevtools -> rpmdevtools

General layout:
* /etc/fedora -> /etc/rpmdevtools
* /usr/share/fedora -> /usr/share/rpmdevtools

Rename scripts (with appropriate backwards compat symlinks for a while):
* fedora-buildrpmtree -> buildrpmtree
* fedora-diffarchive -> diffarchive
* fedora-extract -> extractarchive
* fedora-md5 -> rpmmd5
* fedora-newrpmspec -> newrpmspec
* fedora-rmdevelrpms -> rmdevelrpms
* fedora-rpmchecksig -> rpmchecksig
* fedora-rpminfo -> rpminfo
* fedora-rpmvercmp -> rpmvercmp
* fedora-wipebuildtree -> wiperpmtree

Move:
* spec templates to /etc/rpmdevtools
* emacs/fedora-init.el -> rpmdevtools-init.el (drop emacs/)
* TBD: template.init as %doc to /usr/share/doc/rpmdevtools-*/
  (it's not being used by any scripts that I know of)

Drop:
* fedora-installdevkeys, all GPG keys
* fedora-kmodhelper

Package:
* Migrate rmdevelrpms.conf in %post to new location if it exists when
  upgrading (TBD: and has changed?)

Clean up:
* Pre-FC5 compat from python spec template

Code:
* Refer to renamed things, not backwards compat links everywhere