Future FESCo Elections

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Thu Jul 27 21:00:01 UTC 2006

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:40:36 +0200, Christian.Iseli at licr.xxx wrote:

> Just an idea: why not have elections when at least 2-3 non FESCo members
> express interest into becoming FESCo members ?

This approaches "the problem" from the wrong side.  First of all, there
should be no need "to be in FESCo" to get something done. It ought to be
the opposite. Get something done first, probably multiple times, and then
it may turn out as useful to let the same person take over more things as
they come up. E.g. fill well-defined positions in FESCo, so it is ensured
that FESCo always has somebody who communicates with the contributor
community in satisfactory ways (announcements etc.)

Second, if current members of FESCo are working on something which takes
some time (also longer non-public and possibly controversial discussions),
it would be a disruptive action to let the community decide on whom to
replace at an unfortunate point of time.

Third, in a project of volunteers, there is no command hierarchy, so for
many "tasks" or policies FESCo needs to meet the community's requirements
and pick up ideas/input from the community anyway. Wrong decisions coming
out of FESCo could lead to uproar, unhappy contributors. It doesn't help
if FESCo consists of people with the wrong focus, who are elected with the
help of lobbyism or by nature of a bigger target-group among the
contributors.

Why don't you come up with explanations on how FESCo works and what we
need FESCo for? How is a FESCo member's activity measured? How is FESCo's
contributor community's acceptance measured? And how exactly does FESCo
work in conjunction with the the Packaging Committee (or whatever it is
called officially)? I'm talking about veto powers, quorum and things like
that.