Future FESCo Elections

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Jul 28 18:39:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 01:30:57 +0200, Christian.Iseli at licr.xxx wrote:

> All this is just IMHO...
>
> > Why don't you come up with explanations on how FESCo works
>
> FESCo meets every thursday on IRC, discusses issues raised on
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Schedule, puts them to a vote and
> communicates the results on f-e-l and in
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SteeringCommittee/Meetings
>
> > and what we need FESCo for?
>
> We need a FESCo because it seems we need to get decisions on some issues on a
> regular (weekly) basis.
>
> > How is a FESCo member's activity measured?
>
> See how many meetings he participated in.

That cannot be all. Surely FESCo members need to promise a certain
commitment/activity beyond those IRC meetings. For instance, it needs
someone to create policy documents or drafts thereof, take over action
items, know what can be achieved (infrastructure-wise and possibly only by
RH employees), be the liaison man for Core<->Extras coordination,
communicate with the community. It is still pretty vague how FESCo works,
what sort of members are needed in FESCo, and whether maybe there are only
a number of vacant and redundant seats to fill with arbitrary contributors,
who give their +1/-1 in IRC meetings.

Looking at the current FESCo Schedule page, there are even more items with
nobody assigned to them. So, meetings are not everything.

> > How is FESCo's contributor community's acceptance measured?
>
> through a vote from the community

No, that can't be true. Look at the last election. It was not possible
to vote against individuals. People with less than 50% of the possible
votes entered FESCo nevertheless.

Btw, with "community acceptance" I mean the community's happiness
with what FESCo decides, how/whether FESCo drives things forward,
whether pending issues are prioritised in a satisfactory way.