Update of the fish package

Axel Liljencrantz liljencrantz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 19:43:34 UTC 2006

On 7/31/06, Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:10:07 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > Axel Liljencrantz wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > The version of fish in Fedora extras is pretty out of date. To make
> > > things worse, fedora 4 has a more recent fish version than fedora 5/6,
> > > causing upgrade troubles. There are source rpms for fish available at
> > > the main fish site, http://roo.no-ip.org/fish. Specifically, the
> > > latest fish version is
> > > http://roo.no-ip.org/fish/files/1.21.10/fish-1.21.10-0.src.rpm. This
> > > source rpm compiles under both fedora 4 and fedora 5, and fixes
> > > various bugs in the fish versions available in extras today.
> > >
> > > Would someone with commit rights consider uploading this to Extras?
> >
> > You might want to be the first to try out the AWOL maintainers procedure:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy/AWOL_Maintainers
>
> Actually, Axel and Oliver are supposed to be working together, since if my
> memory serves correctly, Oliver only served as a proxy into FE CVS for
> Axel. But this is not the first time this method has failed. I don't
> know, however, how both have decided to communicate about updates.

You are correct, Oliver has been kind enough to upload previous
releases. Unfortunately, my last 2 emails (sent in June) to him have
been unanswered, I supposed he felt he didn't have time to babysit me
any more(Perfectly understandable, this is a volunteer effort), or it
might possibly be email trouble. As such I thought I'd go on list and
ask how to proceed.

> How about signing up as a Fedora Extras Contributor?

I could do that. I have a bugzilla account, (liljencrantz at gmail.com),
and I belive I have performed all steps outlined on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Contributors up until 'Get
Sponsored' except 'Make review request', but that should be
superflous, since the package I want to become a contributor for is
already in extras, was originally created by me, put through a review
process, etc. Anyone willing to sponsor me?

That said, the package has a kludge in it that didn't exist at the
time of the original review. A utility shipped with fish needs various
X headers to compile, and the name of the package providing X headers
has changed from fc3 to fc4, and the file location has changed from
fc4 to fc5, to work around that and make a single package that builds
on all fedoras, I had to do a semi-ugly hack using a %define in the
spec:

%define xinclude %( if test -d /usr/X11R6/include; then echo
/usr/X11R6/include; else echo /usr/include; fi )

I asked on the main rpm mailing list how to do this and used the
pointers I got, but if anyone has a better suggestion, I'd be happy to
listen.

> --

Axel