remove rpmlint no-documentation warning on -devel subpackages?

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Sun Jun 4 19:25:57 UTC 2006

Ville Skyttä wrote:

>>I've been thinking of doing something exactly like that for the last few
>>days, I'd be interested in helping out.
>

> Note that rpmlint itself contains some instructions and explanations for
> its findings, improvements to those are welcome.  In fact IMHO it would
> be better to direct the effort at those first, then add a Wiki page if
> still needed.
>
> Too bad lots of people don't seem to be aware of rpmlint's -i and -I
> options (see the man page), ideas how to make them more prominent?

I'm largely in agreement with Jason. I think the more dynamic nature of
a wiki would mean that people could edit the info and have access to it
quicker without waiting for rpmlint releases. A wiki probably has the
luxury of allowing explanations and resolutions to be more verbose. This
doesn't mean of course that the information can't eventually make its
way into rpmlint. I think the wiki would also expose what's consider
common or good practice for fixing many issues. I'm not sure you could
make the -i/-I options more prominent. Perhaps if rpmlint finds a
problem and these options haven't been used, it could print a message
saying something like "use -i / -I for more information" although that
might be considered as being too noisy.

--
Ian Chapman.