MLton (SML compiler) bootstrapping

Adam Goode adam at spicenitz.org
Wed Jun 7 19:38:59 UTC 2006

I am working on a spec file for MLton, a compiler for Standard ML.
http://mlton.org/

Like compilers for C, Java, and Haskell, this SML compiler requires a
binary version of itself to compile.

I've looked over the situation from last year regarding ghc:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-February/msg00387.html
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-May/msg00450.html

It looks like the solution was to provide a special one-time source
package with binaries for all 3 platforms inside. Is this still the
preferred solution? I have the spec file all worked out with
"BuildRequires: mlton", but I can make this kind of bootstrap package if
necessary.

Alternatively, I can provide initial binary packages that could be
injected into the repository. I built these on ppc and i386 using the
binary packages from Debian. (MLton will soon, but doesn't yet, support
x86_64.)

For reference, I have put my current work here:
http://www.spicenitz.org/fedora/mlton.spec
http://www.spicenitz.org/fedora/mlton-20051202-1.src.rpm

Thanks for any advice.

Adam