nx, freenx on x86_64

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Jun 8 18:11:51 UTC 2006

Am Donnerstag, den 08.06.2006, 10:03 -0700 schrieb Rick Stout:
> > Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >> And in any case: Just copying the i386 version over to the x86-64 repo
> >> because the maintainer couldn't fix it for x86-64 on it's own is the
> >> wrong approach IMHO because then we might have a bunch of i386 packages
> >> in the x86-64 soon just because maintainers were to lazy to fix their
> >> stuff (or find someone interested in x86-64 to fix it).

First: sorry, I didn't meant to be harsch.

> I *have* looked into getting this fixed for x86_64. I have been part of
> the freenx/nx project since 2004, and no one has successfully ran this
> on x86_64.

Okay.

>  I'm told that nxagent is not 64-bit safe, and that fixing it
> would require somewhat of a rewrite.

Great  :-/ -- someone should tell the upstream developers that we're
living in 2006 and most modern CPUs support the x86-64 extension.
(someone probably already did). Well, that's life and we have to deal
with it.

> I also think that it's a little rash to determine that maintainers are
> lazy because they have a package that does not work on all architectures.

We had some of "lazy maintainers" that simply excluded x86_64 in the
past and it took me and some others quite lot of work to fix most of
them in the early days of Fedora Extras.

Cu
thl