rpms/poker-eval/FC-4 poker-eval.spec,1.8,1.9

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Jun 10 09:46:02 UTC 2006

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 17:05:52 +1200, Michael J. Knox wrote:

> >> I don't see the use of %makeinstall being discouraged in the packaging
> >> guidelines or even discussed for that matter.
> > A defect in the guidelines.
> >
> >> If this is something that shouldn't be used or whatever, then you should
> >> probably have FESCo add it to the  packaging guidelines. A lot (most of
> >> actually) of the packages I have make use of %makeinstall and this is
> >> the first time I have seen it being mentoned.
>
> > This only means you haven't encountered the nasty side-effects of
> > %makeinstall.
> >
> > The working principle %makeinstall is based on, has been necessary for
> > automake-1.4x based configure scripts, but has been deprecated and
> > discouraged in automake for many years.
> >
> > Besides some packages suffering from bugs in DESTDIR support most modern
> > packages support DESTDIR.
> >

> Then please make the suggestion to FESCo to add a change to the
> packaging guide. I think its unfair to put the spot light on someone for
> doing something that is not being discouraged in the Fedora packaging
> guide lines.

Calm down, everyone. Ralf is right. Using %makeinstall should be
discouraged actually, and, for instance, I was under the impression that
we agreed on that long ago.

%makeinstall is different from %configure in that it overrides all
relevant variables (like prefix= libdir= datadir=) with buildroot as a
prefix. This is particularly nasty when during the install process any of
these path variables are put into files on-the-fly either accidentally or
deliberately. You end up with buildroot information in generated files,
such as scripts, executables, libtool archives, doc files, etc.

As a rule of thumb: Prefer "make DESTDIR=%{buildroot} install" wherever
it works. When it doesn't work, try %makeinstall.