Noob: Error tagging FC-5 branch

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Wed Jun 21 15:35:58 UTC 2006

I am trying to follow the instructions at

    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Contributors

I have reached the "Tag Your Branches" stage, and I am getting an error
when I try to tag the FC-5 branch:

[pilcher at home devel]$ cd ../FC-5
[pilcher at home FC-5]$ ls
branch  CVS  fedora-wifi-radar.desktop  Makefile  sources
wifi-radar-pam.d  wifi-radar.spec
[pilcher at home FC-5]$ make tag
cvs tag  -c wifi-radar-1_9_6-2
For more information on using the Fedora source code repositories,
please visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UsingCvs
ERROR: The tag wifi-radar-1_9_6-2 is already applied on a different branch
ERROR: You can not forcibly move tags between branches
wifi-radar-1_9_6-2:devel:pilcher:1150786745
cvs tag: Pre-tag check failed
cvs [tag aborted]: correct the above errors first!
make: *** [tag] Error 1

It looks like this may be caused by the fact that the FC-5 and devel
branches have the same package version/release.  Is this guess correct?

If so, is there a macro that I can add to the Release tag in the SPEC
file which will automatically append something meaningful to the
release?  (The two branches are *exactly* the same right now, and I'm
not eager to maintain two separate versions of the SPEC file for no good
reason.)

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net