Documentation request

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Thu Mar 2 16:08:33 UTC 2006

My opinions on this thread:

1. We *should* use sub-pages for categorizing packages.  Sub-pages should
always be preferred over categories when pages can easily classified under
sub-pages.  Categories can then be used to compliment those pages.  When the
pages are going to be scattered, tags can also be considered.  I don't know
if "Packages" is the best name for the parent page, as we could probably
better subdivide into multiple parental pages, such as our existing "Tools"
and "Games" pages.  Each of these pages should have clear links to and from
appropriate SIGs and other relevant pages and would be deserving of a
category.  We could have a single, all-encompassing category to cover all
such pages, such as CategoryPackages.

2. Keeping every page easily accessible is good, but we also have to avoid
clutter, which detracts from the usefulness of accessibility.  Not every page
must be linked to directly from its parent.  There are cases where pages will
serve each other sequentially, or can be grouped by their siblings, in which
case only one of them needs to be linked to from its parent.  The wiki does
include macro features to assist in linking pages with their siblings, and
this is easy enough to maintain manually.  As long as every page can be
reached in a sensible fashion and can be found by someone who is looking for
it, it may not need to have a link on its parent.  We do need to complete
features like our SiteMap that will allow people to navigate to pages they
are specifically searching for with ease, and do so without the need to use
the search feature.

It's all about balance.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes