%datadir or %datadir/games for games?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Mar 4 09:41:06 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 09:45 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Ern, /usr/games isn't mentioned elsewhere in the doc and is very
> deprecated. I believe they forgot to update this part of the doc when
> /usr/games got removed.

Disagreed.  Chapter 4, The /usr Hierarchy, specific options of FHS 2.3,
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SPECIFICOPTIONS9

   games    Games and educational binaries (optional)

The intention as far as I understand it (based on the above wording and
practical implementations in for example Debian, Mandriva and FreeBSD)
is that /usr/games is a dir that (c|sh)ould be in $PATH.

However, as far as I know, /usr/games has never been in the default
$PATH of any Red Hat originated distribution, so /usr/bin/foo
-> /usr/games/foo symlinks  should be provided by the packager (or
binaries installed to /usr/games by upstream moved to /usr/bin).

> I vote for /use/share/games/xxx because /usr/share is already rather
> crowded.

+1

What to do with arch-specific game files that are not variable game data
is somewhat unaddressed by the FHS as far as I can tell.  I'd opt for
using %{_libdir}/games/$gamename or %{_libdir}/$gamename for them.  The
FE nethack package is one such example, IMO the game dir should be moved
from /usr/games/nethack-* to %{_libdir}/games/nethack-*