troubleshooting x86_64 build failures on i386 hardware

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Sat Mar 4 18:28:52 UTC 2006

Joost Soeterbroek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently have build failure on x86_64 arch for package xmms-cdread:
> http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/logs/fedora-development-extras/5834-xmms-cdread-0.14-7/
>
> What options are there for troubleshooting x86_64 build failures when
> one does not have access to x86_64 hardware, other than repeated plague
> build requests?
>
> Regards,
>
> Joost

Joost,

You can ask here and perhaps someone with x86_64 hardware can help :-)

There is a xmms-cdread-x86_64.patch and a xmms-cdread.spec.patch
at http://www.graphviz.org/pub/tmp/

At least it builds for me now.

The patch is large because I had to:
    libtoolize --force --copy
    aclocal
    automake  --force-missing --copy
    autoconf

Here is a summary of the changes I made:

Makefile.am      - use AM_CFLAGS instead of CFLAGS, add "depcomp" to
EXTRA_DIST
aclocal.m4       - from running aclocal
cdconf.c         - add #include <string.h> to suppress warning
cdread.c         - use "unsigned char*" instead of gchar* to suppress
gcc4 warnings
                 - disable _fini() because it collides with _fini() from
/usr/lib64/crti.o,  its not used anyway???
cdromlinux.h     - use "unsigned char*" instead of char* to suppress
gcc4 warning
configure.in     - use ${libdir} instead of ${prefix}/lib so as to pick
up /usr/lib64
depcomp          - from running automake
fileinfo.c       - add #include <string.h>, #include <stdlib.h>, to
suppress warnings
ltmain.sh        - from running lbtoolize
playlist.c       -  add #include <string.h>, #include <stdlib.h>, to
suppress warnings
Makefile.in      - from running automake

The key problem was likely the collision of _fini()

John