qgit in Fedora Extras

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Tue Mar 7 13:16:13 UTC 2006

> Pavel Roskin píše v Po 06. 03. 2006 v 12:36 -0500:

>> > The real availability depends on how well is working the Redhat build
>> > and publishing system. But probably today it will be put on the
>> primary
>> > site
>> > ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/development/
>> > I have also requested to create a branch for Fedora Core 4, so this
>> > version will be build later.
>>
>> qgit is in Fedora development, but the dependencies are wrong.  In fact,
>> "yum install qgit" wants to download tla, which is definitely not
>> required to run qgit!
>>
>> Several things seem wrong to me:
>>
>> 1) qgit requires git whereas it really only needs git-core.  qgit
>> doesn't import from Arch repositories, and even if it did, it would be
>> useful without having tla installed.
>>

> OK, I will change the qgit's dependency to git-core. Thanks for the
> report. The other points are for a broader discussion, so I am
> forwarding it to the fedora-extras mailing list.

This appears to be the only valid thing about this discussion.

>> 2) Having git as the virtual package with dependencies on the actual
>> packages is not the Red Hat way of doing things.  Not to mention that
>> there is another git package, "GNU interactive tools".  If the virtual
>> package for git is desired, a better name would be git-suite or
>> something, not plain "git".

Dependencies on virtual pacakges are just fine, and the git maintainer
works for RH.

The "GNU interactive tools" argument is best sent to the git developers.
I have been told that the GNU project is going to rename itself at some
point.  Unless upstream git (as in the SCM) changes, the package name
shouldn't be changed.

>> 3) Dependencies on the virtual packages show be banned in general.
>> Package developers should check what functionality is actually required
>> for their package, so that "yum install" doesn't waste time and
>> bandwidth downloading unneeded packages.

That's just silly talk.  The real issue is the #1 above.  Having a general
ban on virtual packages is just stupid.

>> 4) git-arch should require tla or baz, not just tla.  They are
>> compatible, but tla is obsolete and unmaintained, as far as I know.

That's also not true.  tla is maintained, 1.3.4 was just released and it's
also maintained in Fedora Extras.  If the baz maintainer wants to add a
Provides: tla, then that might work.  But otherwise, git-arch depending on
tla is absolutely fine.

josh