non fedora-usermgmt user creation

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Mar 8 16:02:59 UTC 2006

rdieter at math.unl.edu (Rex Dieter) writes:

>>>Yes?  That's the functionality I suggested, just expressed with a
>>>different shell syntax.  Combine something like the above and again,
>>>_no_ dependencies on fedora-usermgmt in packages and I'm satisfied.
>> Sorry, that's a point where I insist on: when a Fedora Extras package
>> uses fedora-usermgmt, then it MUST have the corresponding 'Requires(...):
>> fedora-usermgmt'.
>> Creating undeterministic behavior by randomly executing plain 'useradd'
>> or 'fedora-useradd' is not my idea of package management.
>
> It's not undeterministic.  You've claimed that fedora-useradd is
> *exactly* the same as regular useradd when not configured by the
> sysadmin.  So when/if fedora-usermgmt is installed or not shouldn't
> make a difference, right?  (-:

Ok, let's look at the following %package list for a kickstart (or any
other from-scratch) installation

| fedora-usermgmt-shadow-utils
| fedora-usermgmt-XXXX
| fedora-usermgmt
| package-with-semi-static-uid

The configuration (setting alternatives + baseuid) happens in the %post
script of the fedora-usermgmt-XXXX[1] package, the fedora-usermgmt-*
packages have Requires(...): entries to guarantee the installation order
above for the first three packages.

When 'package-with-semi-static-uid' would not have a 'Requires:
fedora-usermgmt' the order would be unspecified, this package might
be installed before fedora-usermgmt and will get the wrong uid.

'fedora-usermgmt' is a strong requirement for scriptlets: when it is
missing, the effect (user, processes and files with wrong uid) can not
be cured easily. (weak requirements (e.g. gtk-icon-cache) are another
case)

Beside that: rpm has Requires(...): to *guarantee* that programs are
available in scriptlets. Just because a Requires: might not be needed
under some circumstances this does not mean, that this Requires: can be
omitted.

Enrico

Footnotes:
[1]  this fedora-usermgmt-XXXX package is not in Fedora Extras but has
     to be written by the local admin