Release tag conventions (Was: rpms/libnc-dap/devel libnc-dap.spec, 1.3, 1.4)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Mar 9 21:24:55 UTC 2006

> Also, your arguments about trying to make FE spec files match (as
> closely as possible down to the tags) some generic upstream spec file
> don't, in my opinion, hold any water.  The point of FE is to produce
> packages for Fedora.  If they happen to work elsewhere or if they happen
> to look similar to spec files elsewhere, then thats just a coincidence.
> Its not a design goal of FE and is not (IMO) a point that should carry
> any weight in a discussion of Fedora conventions.

I completly agree. And I never argued that to be a convention. However,
the other reason still hold, which is what to do to keep spec files synced
for all the branches. In that case what is better:

1. Bump version on the devel spec for each and every build, and jump
version number for the FC-x up to the devel version when it is time to
sync the spec.

2. add .x to the devel spec for each build, and bump release number when
the specs are synced.

I personaly  prefer 1. and I always use 1. when I don't want to add a
%changelog entry.

Thoughts?

--
Pat