Conflict between GNU CS and FHS

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 03:18:49 UTC 2006

On 3/18/06, Tom 'spot' Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 22:58 +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>
> > That corner case operating system is used world wide, and you (I
> > assume so by your email address) work for a company that produces a
> > variant of the GNU system.  So it isn't presumptious at all, on the
> > contrary...
>
> Based on this information, since Linux uses /usr, and it is not
> presumptious to assume that we should not be using /usr, all packages
> storing files in /usr are hereby in violation of all of the Fedora
> Extras Packaging guidelines.

Tom, dont feed the GNU trolls. They live for the day that the one true
HURD is used. As far as I can tell.. /com/ may not be valid under the
FHS so it should be /var. I think that people will not be able to code
under both the GNU Coding Standards and the FHS.  Oh well, I expect
that we will get an email about how is Fedora going to deal with GNU
Documentation License items too :)

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator