python: mixing sitearch and sitelib (was: python noarch vs arch)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sat Sep 2 16:38:14 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 18:34 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> You need to decide on your use of the word module. You use it
> interchangably for a patchon package and a single-file module.
>
> If you mean a "module" as in package, then you agree that the
> statement was wrong, or not?
>
> If you mean a "module" as in a single file, then it doesn't make sense
> to discuss about python and C code in one file embedded together.
>
> So the original statement used "module" while you meant the totality
> of all modules and was wrong to advice to pull everything under
> sitearch. If the statement was meaning a proper single file python
> module it would be technically correct, but it would make no sense, as
> there is no python/C mixing in the same file.

You need to decide how to read my use of "module" I suppose.  I said a
'python's module', eg something that you can do 'import foo' on in
python.  A module can be many individual FILES.  Some compiled, some
noncompiled.  I did NOT use them interchangeable for a "patchon package"
whatever that may be.  And a 'single-file module' is still a python
module, which is what I said.  You've taken the base assumption that
when I said 'python's module' I meant a python rpm package and ran with
it, which is an incorrect assumption.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora