We are evaluating building packages from Fedora Extras for RHEL

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Mon Sep 11 07:39:23 UTC 2006

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, nodata wrote:

> Do the Extras contributors get anything for providing this seven years
> of support? A cap? A t-shirt? A RHEL license?

If RedHat is the organization that is going to get the most benefit out of
this, and they want to encourage it, Red Hat stock options for maintainers
taking care of the packages for this long would be the typical incentive,
since developers are investing part of their sparetime for 7 years in RH:s
success.

I know this would probably be tricky in the internationalized context, and
I don't know if RH really likes the idea of EE that much. However it
would certainly mean that you could trust the developers that go through
all the legal paperwork to achieve this and remove a few other problems.

People talk so much about incentives, money's just fine, really.

Now I don't think RH want my packages so bad they'd do this, more
typically select a few extra important package maintainers and throw this
at them would be ideal.

Just my Euro 0.01...

Linus