exim-sa (Re: [Fwd: Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2006-09-12])

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Sep 13 08:08:16 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 18:29 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> By adding "Obsoletes: exim-sa < %{version}-%{release}" to the package
> which replaces it.

Hm. There is no package which directly replaces it, for those whose
configuration is actually using it.

The sa_exim plugin was the original SpamAssassin support for Exim. It's
fairly much equivalent to a sendmail milter or whatever you can do in
postfix.

But Exim can do a whole lot better than that limited approach -- and for
a while now, we've had full support for content scanning with the
results available in the general-purpose ACLs which can be run at any
stage of the SMTP transaction.

I don't really want to continue shipping the obsolete sa_exim.

> We can also remove the exim-sa packages from the devel repository. But
> without a proper Obsoletes in place, there's a broken upgrade path from
> FE5 and earlier.

I think the 'broken upgrade path' is probably the best option. If people
are _using_ sa_exim, then silently removing it on upgrade is probably a
bad thing. As it stands, if they don't want to update their
configuration then they _can_ still rebuild the Extras package with the
exim-sa subpackage included, and install that -- but if I were to make
the core Exim package obsolete exim-sa, that would be problematic.

--
dwmw2