ldconfig and %{_libdir}/%{name}/*.so files

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Sep 17 10:56:44 UTC 2006

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 11:44:48AM +0200, Dawid Gajownik wrote:
> Hi!
> 	May someone explain me whether I have to run ldconfig in %post{,un}
> sections if package installs .so files in %{_libdir}/%{name} directory?
> I thought that it's not necessary but I recently saw gaim and

I also think it is not necessary, I guess the files in %{_libdir}/gaim
are dlopened.

> gaim-gadugadu spec files¹ and they run this command.
>
> ¹
> http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/rpms/gaim/devel/gaim.spec?view=markup

In gaim there is
%{_libdir}/libgaim-client.so.*

> http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/rpms/gaim-gadugadu/devel/gaim-gadugadu.spec?root=extras&view=markup

I would say that it is an error. But I can't say for sure. I have seen that
gaim-meanwhile does the same, but gaim-otr and gaim-gaym don't do that
ldconfig call. Maybe the good thing would be to fill a bug against
gaim-gadugadu and gaim-meanwhile.

--
Pat