FYI: list of extras contributors that didn't rebuild a single package

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sun Sep 17 16:57:18 UTC 2006

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:04:37 -0500 (CDT), Jima wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2006, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> > Anyway, is having the dist tag in the release sufficient, or do I really
> > need to bump the releast from 2.fc5 to 3.fc6?
>
>   Nope, you need to bump the number.  The version in devel *now* already
> has a dist tag of .fc6, or should.

Not true. If the 2.fc5 binaries are in the fc6 "development" repo since
they were copied from FC-5 when the branch was created, it is enough to
rebuild 2%{?dist} and get 2.fc6 as a result which is newer than 2.fc5.

Maybe the jargon is misleading.

"To rebuild a package" does NOT mean to simply build it again, without
touching its spec/src.rpm. Anybody, who installed foo-1.0-1.i386.rpm on
January 1st, won't ever get the foo-1.0-1.i386.rpm which was built again
on September 1st.

"To rebuild a package" means to build it in any way that produces binary
rpms which are seen as _updates_ in RPM version comparison. The most basic
way to achieve that is by increasing the "Release" value in the spec and
hence the src.rpm (committing the changes, tagging the files, etc).