Cross-compilers.

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Sep 18 17:11:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 17:42 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 16:30 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > >
> > > That would be great if it's possible.  How is this going to work with
> > > only the headers supplied in binutils and gcc?
> >
> > I believe it ought to go something like
> >
> >  binutils < gcc < glibc < libgcc
Forgot to mention:
- libgcc is part of GCC.
- The dependency GCC and glibc (and the kernel-headers) is circular.

Splitting out libgcc from GCC IMO is an attempt to break this circular
dependency from the wrong end.

> > We might want to put libgcc into a separate package for the
> > cross-toolchain, unless we can _fake_ the presence of glibc.
> As mentioned a dozen of times before: Simply repackage the glibc binary
> rpms into a sys-rooted environment (for those GCC's supporting it -
> Older versions don't).

Using the binary glibc, breaks this dependencies into the same linear,
incremental dependency chain as being used for native compilation and
re-uses the identical target library binaries as being used natively.

Ralf