rpmforge and {enterprise, } Extras (Was Re: Initial Proposal for doing Enterprise Extras=

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Sun Sep 24 17:37:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> Well, in the past, as I understand it, the goals of FE and rpmforge
> have been very different, making a merge not really on the table.
> Notably, as stated in the rpmforge FAQ, the difference between
> rpmforge and FE is
>
> "The biggest difference is that we provide packages for a range of
> distributions including older Red Hat distributions, Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux and others (eg. CentOS, Aurora) and different
> architectures. If you expect to use both Fedora and Red Hat your
> safest bet is RPMforge. Of course you can mix both, if you like."

  While the Aurora part was true not too long ago, it hasn't been true as
of Aurora 2.0; our own Dennis Gilmore has been doing a phenomenal job of
rebuilding Extras for Aurora.  Thanks Dennis!
  And if we start providing packages for Enterprise distros, that
fundamental difference isn't particularly significant anymore.  (Other
differences there might be...well, that's another story.)

      Jima