Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2006-09-26

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Sep 27 08:09:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 07:45:00AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Fact is: The OpenMotif packages had been around during the mass rebuild.
> Release management has failed to remove them in time - lack of
> coordination between FC and FE.

In my opinion it is more than lack of coordination. There is a will
to remove completly openmotif from fedora core for FC-6 whatever the
temporary breakages are. Another symptom is that an important package
coming from core, ddd, is (in my opinion) still not ready for inclusion
in extras although it was allready more or less approved. And lastly
there is no openmotif package packaged which would have contained
shared libs only and would have eased the transition a lot.

As I repeated allready lot of times, doing the transition so abruptly,
especially when there are very easy possiblities to do otherwise is
detrimental for the users.

The transition could easily be smoothened by shipping a package
containing the openmotif libs only; even better and not hard would have
been making parallele installable packages except for -devel subpackage
which would have conflict. Making completly parallel packages
isn't impossible, though it may be more difficult and less easy to use.

--
Pat